The Employees’ Provident Fund Organization (EPFO) allows members to withdraw their provident fund (PF) money under certain circumstances. Here are the PF withdrawal criteria in India in 2023:
- Unemployment: If an individual has been unemployed for more than a month, he/she can withdraw up to 75% of the total accumulated amount. If the unemployment period stretches over 2 months, the remaining 25% can also be withdrawn.
- House purchase: PF account holders can withdraw up to 2 lakhs to buy a house, either for self-occupation or investment. The house can be in India or abroad.
- Medical treatment: PF account holders can withdraw up to 75% of their PF balance to meet medical expenses for themselves, their spouse, children, or parents. The medical expenses must be certified by a doctor.
- Education: PF account holders can withdraw up to 50% of their PF balance to meet the educational expenses of themselves, their spouse, children, or dependents. The educational expenses must be certified by a school or college.
- Retirement: PF account holders can withdraw their entire PF balance after they reach the age of 58.
- Death: The nominee of a deceased PF account holder can withdraw the entire PF balance.
In addition to these, there are also some special PF withdrawal provisions for women, such as:
- Marriage: A female PF account holder can withdraw up to 50% of her PF balance to meet the expenses of her marriage.
- Pregnancy and childbirth: A female PF account holder can withdraw up to 75% of her PF balance to meet the expenses of her pregnancy and childbirth.
- Emigration: A female PF account holder who is emigrating from India can withdraw her entire PF balance.
To withdraw your PF money, you need to fill Form 19 and submit it to the EPFO. You can fill the form online or download it from the EPFO website. Once you have filled the form, you need to attach the required documents, such as a copy of your PAN card, PF account statement, and proof of unemployment or medical expenses. You can submit the form to the EPFO office in person or by post.
The EPFO will process your claim and send the money to your linked bank account within 20 days. If your claim is approved, you will not have to pay any tax on the PF money that you withdraw.
Here are the steps on how to fill Form 19 for PF withdrawal:
- Go to the EPFO website and login to your account using your UAN and password.
- Click on the “Online Services” tab.
- Under the “Claim (Form 31, 19, 10C & 10D)” section, click on “Apply”.
- In the “I want to apply for” section, select “Only PF Withdrawal (Form-19)”.
- Enter the last 4 digits of your linked bank account and click on “Verify”.
- Click on “Yes” to sign the “Certificate of Undertaking”.
- Enter your complete address.
- Tick the disclaimer and click on “Get Aadhaar OTP”.
- An OTP will be sent to your Aadhaar registered mobile number. Enter the OTP in the space provided and click on “Submit”.
Your Form 19 will be submitted successfully. The EPFO will process your claim and send the money to your linked bank account within 20 days.
Here are the details that you need to fill in Form 19:
- Your name as per your PAN card.
- Your father’s or husband’s name (if you are a married woman).
- Your date of birth.
- Your PAN number.
- Your PF account number.
- The name and address of your previous employer.
- The date of joining and leaving your previous employment.
- The reason for leaving your previous employment.
- Your preferred mode of payment (bank account, cheque, or demand draft).
You can also download Form 19 from the EPFO website and fill it manually. However, it is recommended to fill the form online as it is more convenient and secure.